The Rake Magazine April 2014

Does there come a time in a man’s life when he is too old to wear shorts?

Banana2014Shortsuit

Is this really a “work” look? Even for creatives?

Banana republic Spring 2014

I just ask as I’ve seen a lot of suggestions lately that we take to tailored shorts. I confess to liking them. They remind me of the Bermudas that my parent’s generation wore to backyard cook-outs. Nothing baggy,cargo-y or loosely slung about the hips.

But I wonder (outside of visiting the beach or a the pool) if shorts have an expiration date?

JPressShirt

Last year… less tailored, but a prep stand-by for garden parties.

What do you think? Easy yes. But can shorts be elegant, to a point?

9 Responses to Who Wears Shorts?

1. Michael Poplawski says:

Too old to wear shorts? Yes, somewhere after your 12th birthday. I never wear them outside the house. Backyard grilling is another story.

2. Robert says:

Shorts elegant? No. Never. I think as soon as a man hits say 30, shorts should only be worn when practical – in his house/backyard, on the tennis court, at the beach, or at the gym.

3. pigtown*design says:

My father would wear Bermuda shorts, knee socks and loafers to summer (casual) dinners. It looked fabulous.

4. Todd Kunz says:

Shorts exude youthful, unsophisticated athleticism, not elegance. There is definitely a place for that, but not with a blazer or sport coat. The two concepts clash with each other, creating an oddity. There is a certain balance that exists between the upper portion of the body and the legs when a blazer is worn, but shorts break up that balance and in so doing, destroys the natural harmony found in the male silhouette.

5. Dearest Chris,
    For me, no shorts cannot be elegant to a point. Not wearing socks is already a downer and who has the legs or ankles for pulling this off?
    For me personally, shorts belong to leisure and with sandals with or without socks. And God forbid, not those over the calf dress socks pulled up high! There are nice cotton or linen slouch socks that will look a lot better.
    Enjoy June and any upcoming garden party.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

6. Lord Byron Ferry says:

I am fairly sure that the last time I wore shorts for non-sport related reasons was August 17, 1964.

7. brohammas says:

I have always advocated for being situation appropriate. Plenty of factors can help determine what is appropriate, weather/temperature being one of said factors. Clothing should serve a function. In some situations that function is to project formality or seriousness, in others it is utility and protection (chaps). There are plenty of situations where shorts are called for, but most if not all of those situations are not elegant. Unless of course one is actually -IN- Bermuda.

8. The architect says:

If it’s a hot enough day, shorts are a terrific way to cool off. But I can’t imagine adding a jacket when trying to chill. (That said, my Mama had me wearing white Peter Pan collared shirts with navy short pants and jackets until about 6th form. I’m still searching for the right support group.)

9. A. Johnsson says:

Cool post. I think it was Daniel Peres who once wrote. “Shorts are great, just don’t bring them to a restaurant.”

I prefer shorts, and I think they have a lot to contribute, especially on warm summer days.

Best
    A. Johnsson

Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section.
%d bloggers like this:
Tiffany Replica
Gucci Logo

vs.

JIANGHAI XX a/k/a JEFF XX d/b/a
TCOWORLD.COM d/b/a SHOPLUXURY.US d/b/a

8. Interest from the date this action was filed shall accrue at the legal rate.

(a) manufacturing or causing to be manufactured, importing, advertising, or promoting, distributing, selling or offering to sell counterfeit and infringing goods using the Tiffany Marks or works protected by the Tiffany copyrights;

(c) using any logo, and/or layout which may be calculated to falsely advertise the services or products of Defendant XX, www.Esilver2go.com, www.Tiffany4ever.com, www.Shopluxury.us, www.Tcoworld.com, and/or any other website or business, as being sponsored by, authorized by, endorsed by, or in any way associated with Tiffany;

(g) affixing, applying, annexing or using in connection with the sale of any goods, a false description or representation, including words or other symbols tending to falsely describe or represent goods by XX, www.Esilver2go.com, www.Tiffany4ever.com, www.Shopluxury.us, www.Tcoworld.com, and/or any other website or business, as being those of Tiffany, or in any way endorsed by Tiffany;

(h) offering such goods in commerce;