The nice PR people at Porter-Novelli (wonderful bunch!) are at it again. They’d like to spread the word about the Gillette® Fusion® razor and shaving system by giving you a free razor and having you take the ProGlide Challenge™. Essentially the idea is for you to shave half your face using your current methods and the other half with the Fusion® system and compare the results. At any rate, by clicking the widget below, you’ll sign up and be sent a free blade, which is something like a USD$50 value, or $10/microblade at last count.
Post your thoughts to Easy and Elegant Life or send a comment along via Twitter or Facebook [#ProGlideChallenge or @gillette (twitter.com/Gillette) or Facebook.com/Gillette]
As you know, I am a DE (double edge) drop-in vintage razor wet shaver. I like my lotions, potions, badger hair brushes and after-shaves. But I will give you an honest assessment of the Fusion system. I’d like yours, too. Thanks for playing, here’s how they suggest we do.
TAKING THE PROGLIDE CHALLENGE
Thanks for taking the Gillette ProGlide Challenge. To see how your current razor measures up to Gillette Fusion ProGlide, we are going to ask you to shave one side of your face with your current razor and the other with Gillette Fusion ProGlide.
Before you do, please read these important steps below.
HOW TO PREPARE YOUR FACE FOR SHAVING
1. HYDRATE YOUR FACE! Shower or bathe and exfoliate before you shave. Wash your face and neck with warm water and a mild cleanser or scrub to help remove the natural oils, perspiration and dry skin cells that inhibit water penetration. Although beard hair is as tough as copper wire, applying warm water helps hair to expand, making it softer and easier to cut. For incredible shaving comfort, try a thermal Face Scrub which gently warms and deep cleans to help soften hair before shaving.
2. Apply plenty of shave gel. Although warm water is the essential softening agent, the water absorbed by hair quickly evaporates, leaving the hair in its original rigid state. Shave gel provides a protective blanket that prevents the evaporation of water and keeps beard hair soft during the shave. Additionally, the lubricating characteristics of shave gel reduce friction between the blade and skin, improving razor glide for a smoother, more comfortable shaving experience.
3. Use a light touch and rinse the cartridge. Use light, gentle strokes when shaving. Rinse the razor frequently to prevent the buildup of hairs and shave gel on the blade edges and in the cartridge.
4. Make sure your blade is fresh. A fresh blade is a better shave. When you feel the razor drag on your face, it’s time to change the blade.
5. Shave hard-to-reach spots last. Shave cheeks, sides of face and neck first. The toughest whiskers grow on the chin and around the lips. Shave these areas last, as more time soaking in shaving gel will soften hair further.
6. After the shave. After shaving, rinse your face and neck with cool water and pat dry. At the end of every shave, rinse the blade thoroughly and shake off excess water before storing. Do not wipe the blades or tape the razor on the sink; this can damage the fine shaving edge. Finish with a Cooling Lotion to hydrate shaved skin for extra comfort.
Here are the ways in which the Fusion is thought to be a superior razor straight from the horse’s mouth (or PDF):
• Low Cutting Force Blades: thinner, finer blades and our advanced low-resistance coating enabling the blades to cut effortlessly through hair with less tug and pull*. (*First four blades vrs. this version., as I read it.)
• A Blade Stabilizer to maintain optimal blade spacing for comfort, while allowing the blades to adjust to the contours of a man’s face.
• A streamlined Snowplow Comfort Guard which channels excess shave prep to help maintain optimal blade contact, stretching the skin for a close, comfortable shave.
• A Larger Lubrastrip™ infused with mineral oil and lubricating polymers, enabling the razor to move smoothly over skin even on repeat strokes.
• An improved Precision Trimmer, including an enhanced blade, a comb guard to better align long hairs and new rinse-through slots.
4 thoughts on “Gillette® Fusion® Giveaway: The ProGlide Challenge™”
After reading Giuseppe’s post on classic toilette, it’s a bit disappointing to see a plug for Gillette’s “latest and greatest” gimmick blade. Easy, perhaps, but nowhere near as elegant as a good safety razor, badger brush and shaving soap.
Mr. Berg, I haven’t plugged it yet. But I like giving away what I consider to be far too expensive blades for free to my readers.
I, too, use the DE, badger and cake of soap everyday. A quick search of E&EL will reveal my shaving habits.
Im Ready to take the challenge.
Good for you Mr. Cracknell, I’ve followed the instructions and haven’t noticed much of a difference. I will say that I shave more quickly with the Fusion than I do with my DE and I don’t like the shaving gel aerosol. I’ll be interested in hearing what you think.