The Photo Shoot

Well I like the shirt so much that I decided to wear it for the photo that will accompany an article about Easy and Elegant Life in a local on-line magazine this coming January.

You know what? There is a reason that photographers require assistants. These were all done without benefit of another pair of eyes. Which is why all but the last three I rejected out of hand.

Since I’m running today, I thought I’d give you a sneak peek at the many things that can go wrong with a shot. The secret to getting a good one is simple. Take a thousand. One’s bound to turn out.

That and, as Eddie Ross pointed out, good cropping. I’ll submit two of the last three… Got a vote? (Click to go to a larger file.)

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Cultivating and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to The Photo Shoot

1. toad says:

I’m leaning towards the gray suit. 3rd row center. First runner up is last row center.

2. Taylor says:

Hmmm and Pleaseeee are my vote.

3. B.deR.W. says:

The picture in the center of the last row would get my vote.

4. Shelley M says:

I prefer Ummmm.

5. I like grey suit, too, though I am not sure that is one of our choices. Maybe I am reading the directions wrong ( a common affliction.) Of the third row I like far left far and away the best.

6. Well, I know it’s not in the choices but I prefer the “thoughtful” one: 1st column, third row. Like Mrs. Blandings. You look kind, serious, and all-knowing.

7. PS: It’s fun to look at your stack of books. You have the original World of Vogue! Nice! And I love Genevieve Dariaux’s Elegance. I have the original edition too.
    Also, you reminded me that I need to find a copy of Tompkin’s Living Well is the Best Revenge.

8. Donna says:

2nd one down in the middle is perfection.

9. Cashmere Librarian… i have two copies of Living Well. E-mail me and I will send you one.

10. KLS says:

I realize that you prefer the bottom three, but I think that the top right looks great.

11. Ari says:

Middle image, secod row from top. And left corner image on the last / fourth row down.

On a related note, who took the one for your November 19th blog post? It’s very good.

12. Karena says:

Leaning over the stack of books is wonderful!! Excellent books at that!

13. Hi Ari, that photo was taken by Jeff at Leviner Wood, my tailor. His idea. I loved it.

Thanks all. It was frustrating and fun.

P-D, you’re a gem.

14. E –

I’m with Ari and Donna on the middle shot – second row, proving your tailor has impeccable instincts.

15. Barbara says:

I like the bottom row left photo! And, what a fabulous shirt. Amazing cuff detail… just the best!!

16. Doug In OK says:

I vote for Ummmm and EE&L_Cox_2. Be sure to share the January online article with us.

17. Most of the others have slight faults with them. The “Ummm” shot, for instance has the collar of my coat standing out just a bit from my neck, and a funny fold at the gorge. The tie isn’t laying as beautifully as I’d like, too. I’m hoping for _2.

But thank you all very, very much for the input. We’ll see what the editors select and I’ll be sure and link to the profile!

18. TWA says:

My vote is for numbers 5 & 6 they look the most natural. Not so keen on the last three.

19. jan says:

Hard to pick just one! Lovely shots! Yes — I pick the middle one in the third row. Of course, I would have add a martini glass.

Jan at Rosemary Cottage