The High Collar

PinkDobby

Forgive the late post. I had a meeting this morning and popped into my tailor’s to have a head shot done for a local magazine article. What luck! While I was there one of the two shirts I ordered was ready and waiting for me to try on.

Shirts and I, custom or not, have an uneasy relationship. I usually have a funny wrinkle extending diagonally down from the collar along the front of the shirt to the placket. Drives me to distraction. And getting a collar that fits correctly for someone who is head forward with a skinny neck is no fun either. Did I mention thin wrists that swim in normal cuffs? And then there is the lack of choice of fabric, patterns, cuffs, collars, etc. . Custom is clearly the way to go for me, and I hope that bespoke will be in the offing not too far into the future. But for the moment, for less than the price of an off-the-rack designer shirt like a Canali (which fits me pretty well), I have this beauty.

What makes it different from any other contrast collar pink Dobby? The collar height is the highest that the company makes. The neckband is a full inch wide in front, the back hovers at a Lagerfeldian 2 ¼ at the inside back band it’s 1 7/8”. We kept a small tie space of ¼” between the 3″ rounded points. The buttons are extra-thick, even at the tabbed cuff. And it is monogrammed inside the collar at the back.

TabCuffDobby

Stay tuned for the cocktail cuff, spread collar.

Please follow and like us:
Pin Share
This entry was posted in Elegantology and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to The High Collar

1. Doug In OK says:

An absolutely beautiful shirt! Amazing how a crisp, freshly pressed and well fitting shirt can make the day. And yes, the cuff is an intriguing and unique detail. Looking forward to the info.

2. Johnny says:

Love that shirt.
    I like the high collar quite a bit.
    I dig the look of that house across the street as well.

3. I love the cuffs on this shirt! Sorry, I know the collar is the focus but the cuffs are very nice!

Your post the other day reminded me of a post I did a few weeks ago…

4. Yes, the cuffs are beautiful; I’ve never seen french cuffs like that. As always, a well proportioned shirt looks best. I am quite over these trendy short collar shirts- some of us have longer necks! That’s a beautiful shade of pink too, by the way.

5. Karena says:

Beautiful shirt, isn’t custom the utmost in luxury?!

6. Paul says:

WOW! Amazing shirt! Wear it in good health.

7. Tabbed cuff? That is wonderful!

8. Mrs. B. Thanks. That will be the first in the EE&L line that I am designing.

9. Karena, I’ve had custom, but this has been the best experience to date.

10. Tim Gunn was on Oprah today giving man makeovers and I couldn’t help but think of you and M. Lane at The Epic. I dream of a day where all men dress as sharply as you gentlemen!

11. M.Lane says:

What a beautiful shirt. Well done!

ML
    mlanesepic.blogspot.com

12. Square with Flair says:

Now that’s a Jay Gatsby shirt! It would bring Daisy Buchanan to tears!
    Square with Flair

13. Turling says:

Looking forward to the post on the cuff. That is fantastic.

14. ADG says:

“Lagerfeldian”…brilliant.

I’ve gotta have the shirt. Where can I have that thing made? Do I need to come to Richmond? I will!

ADG

15. Greg wingfield says:

Chris
    very nice!
    You and Larry really created a beautifully made shirt.
    I am looking for a call from Mr. Wood shortly that my shirt
    is ready for pick up.
    Have a great Holiday, hope the good Richmond weather holds!
    Greg

16. Thank you Greg. I’ve seen those shirts of yours, too. Nice collars and buttons!

17. DCLawyer says:

The rounded points is an especially nice touch!

Next time try going full club collar, ala Merkin.

And I’ve NEVER seen a “tabbed cuff” – very interesting.